WELCOME TO MY CRAZY LIFE!



Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A STORY ABOUT GRIEF, HEALING, AND POETRY!

Happy after grief!
Those of you who know me and read this blog, know me and know what my strong connection with grief is. Those of you who don't....let me tell you a short story. In September of 2005, I suddenly became a widow and a single mother of a little baby girl. My first husband was tragically killed in an auto/pedestrian accident in Las Vegas, Nevada. In that moment my life was forever changed. I lost a big part of my identity and my foundation. I had to come to terms with my new identity. During the next days, weeks, and months that followed I found myself consumed with my grief. I wasn't sure where to turn and what to do. Eventually I started to pour myself into writing. I wrote a journal, letters, songs, rants, and POEMS! It was in poems that I found a temporary relief from the pain that I was feeling. As I continued to read, and write poetry, I found that it was very therapeutic. It was a great way for me to release my emotions in a constructive way. Eventually happiness came again, and I am proof of recovery after a devastating loss. This brings me to present day. One of the requirements of students at Southern Utah University (where I am attending)is to complete a project in a program called EDGE. This ground breaking program allows students to pick a project that will give them the opportunity to get experience outside the classroom. The projects picked are supposed to relate to the students choice of major and career. When I graduate in May, I plan to work in the bereavement field. It is funny that such a life changing event can change what we do in life. I had always wanted to work in developmental psychology until a very prominent figure told me that my calling in life would be in the world of grief. In November of 2012,I chose to give a presentation on the benefits of poetry to a bereavement group on the campus of SUU. I had the members of the group share poems that had helped them through the death of their loved one. I also had them try their hand at writing a poem. The experience was a wonderful experience. Everyone had something to share. The emotions were high, and many tears were shed as we shared poems that were dear to our heart. Everyone was appreciative of the experience. The project was so successful, that it will be carried out in future groups on campus. With the experience, I was able to stretch myself and grow. I reached out in a way that I would not usually do. The things I have learned from this project are invaluable. They will be things I will carry with me throughout my life.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, I am amazed at your strength to overcome such grief. It sounds like you have used it for good and to help strengthen others. I would love to read some of your poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, how am I just now finding your blog? I had no idea about all that you've gone through and overcome! I know we worked together for those few weeks at the Humane Society which I loved (the working with you part, not necessarily the job part), but my favorite memory of you is standing in the church parking lot after girls camp or maybe it was youth conference? ...and you finding me and giving me a hug. I was still kind of new and out of place, and you made me feel so much better. I have to agree with your career choice, I think you just know what people need and how to make them feel good! You're amazing! (this is Melanie Cain btw, I need to fix my blog so that it doesn't say "our family" on my comments) :)

    ReplyDelete